Friday, August 25, 2006

Go on, entertain me!

Friends? I’ve got LOADS of ‘em. Big ones, lil’ ones, fat ones, skinny ones, witty ones, earnest ones … and all of ‘em interesting. Unfortunately, they’re all in another place, and making new friends is never easy, especially when you start to get on a bit and staying home with a beer (and your wife … but don’t worry, Hon, not in that order!) in front of a DVD on a Saturday night becomes more and more attractive.

But we do try to make friends … in fact we try pretty hard sometimes. And that’s the theme of this short Blog; is it just me, or are people losing the skill of conversation and congregation? Are email, the internet, reality TV and movies-on-demand slowly whittling away at our social skills?

I’ll try to give you an example of what I mean … a little while ago, Mrs Donkey and I were out at a weekly, social, sporting commitment, which had become a regular for us since we were new in town and were out to build a bit of a social circle. We met lots of new people, and the conversation (after general, “what’s your name?” introductions) usually went something like this (now, I don’t want to single anyone out here, or contribute to stereotypes, so lets choose a name that’s nice and neutral and non-descript … how ‘bout Hank?!!!!);

Donkey: So, Hank, how long have you been in Delhi?
Hank: Two years.

PAUSE FOR FURTHER INPUT … NOTHIN’

Donkey: Two years, hey? That’s a long time … how’s two years in Delhi?
Hank: It’s OK.

PAUSE FOR FURTHER INPUT … NOTHIN’

Donkey: Are you working here?
Hank: Yeah.

PAUSE FOR FURTHER INPUT … NOTHIN’. I KID YOU NOT!

Donkey: So, am I allowed to ask you what you do, or do you work for the CIA?
Hank: No, I do all different sorts of things …

...and that was it! And I just couldn’t do it anymore? I know what you’re thinking; you’re thinking that when you’re the new bod, you gotta keep trying. But hang-on a minute, I didn’t go to no posh finishing-school or nothin’, but even I know there is a certain protocol to communicating with people. You ask a question, they give you an answer, you affirm their answer, ask another question, they answer, and then ask something about you … and then, “Hey Presto!”, as if by magic, you have had a two-way conversation and learned something about each other. That’s how it’s supposed to be … and it’s thanks to both parties understanding and following these simple social rules that Mrs Donkey and I have been able to develop lasting, mutually beneficial friendships with so many wonderful people over the years.

And let me just say, this ain’t no isolated event! There have been many, many Hanks over the last six months! I'll admit that discovering Blogging has really been one of the most wonderful things to have happened to me in recent years, and when you’re bored or a bit low, it’s great to just hit “Next Blog” and enjoy a whole hour or so as the thoughts and happenings of people from all over the world are just laid out before you. But, when it comes to the face-to-face, this “Go on, entertain me!” attitude has just gotta stop!

Donkey seems a bit grumpy today, sorry.

Hell hath no fury like a Donkey with a gripe. Photo: Google Images

5 comments:

J said...

There, there....
*gives Donkey a pat on the back*
There will always be Hanks in this world... either those who are socially inept or just plain uninterested.
(I do hope you don't end up strangling the next one in a fit of frustration though...)

DonkeyBlog said...

Hmmm ... "Strangling the Hank" - could be a euphemism do you think, j?

Euphemism or not, you've made me feel better. Ta ... you're a bit like chocolate, aren't you?

shamrock said...

Hank the Wank !!!....so you and Mrs Donkey just need to go and find....Hmmmm...Mark the Lark ?...Hee Haw!

Or you could just put up with bloggers with the same sense of humour for a bit...

DonkeyBlog said...

Well Mrs Baggs,

Absence makes the heart grow creative ... hopefully today's post will keep you happy.

Good morning Colombo!

J said...

Donkey, I won't judge you for what you do in your spare time...
Haha.

Anyway, me? A bit like chocolate?
Awwww... thanks!
:)